Most likely, no. Course exemptions are only granted to students who obtain advanced standing based on previous academic work or pass a proficiency test.
Students develop the qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, substantive knowledge of a policy concentration and professional skills to address real world challenges in policy and management.
The MPA degree program is best suited for young professionals holding a bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant work or substantive internship experience.
MPA graduates work in the most prestigious agencies and firms in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, as well as their own start-ups and social enterprises.
The MPA core curriculum combines a globally oriented and comparative approach to national policy-making with rigorous courses in economics, quantitative analysis and management. Students choose from a broad range of concentrations (majors): International Security Policy, International Finance and Economic Policy, Economic and Political Development, Human Rights and Humanitarian Policy, and Urban and Social Policy. Graduates possess advanced analytical abilities and career-oriented professional knowledge and skills, acquired through a curriculum that integrates Columbia University’s unsurpassed academic rigor with extensive experiential learning, including the most diverse capstone workshop program in the field.
All students are required to register full-time as many required courses are only offered during the day.
Dual-Degree Programs with other columbia schools
- MPA and Juris Doctor (JD)
- MPA and Master of Public Health (MPH)
- MPA and Master in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences (MA)
- MPA and Master of Science in Social Work (MSSW)
Dual-Degree Programs with international partners
- Berlin: the Hertie School - Master of Public Policy or Master of International Affairs
- London: London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) - Master of Public Administration
- Paris: School of International Affairs at Sciences Po - Master of International Affairs and School of Public Affairs at Sciences Po - Master of Public Administration
- São Paulo: Fundação Getulio Vargas Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (FGV-EAESP)
- Singapore: the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP) at the National University of Singapore - Master of Public Policy
- Tokyo: University of Tokyo Graduate School of Public Policy (GraSPP) - Master of Public Policy
More information about the application deadlines and checklist can be found on How to Apply to SIPA. Detailed instructions on the application requirements may be found once you start an account in the online Application Portal or by browsing the Admissions Blog.
Employment By Sector
Employment by Sector: Public Sector, 38.5%; Private Sector, 44.9%; Nonprofit Sector, 14.7%; Pursuing Further Study: 1.9%
Employment information as reported by the graduates six months after graduation. In 2021, 250 students graduated from the MPA program, 167 reported.