Master of International Affairs
Master of International Affairs
Deadlines: Spring Term 2023
Final Application: October 15, 2022
Deadlines: Fall Term 2023
Early Action: November 1, 2022
Fellowship Consideration: December 20, 2022
Final Application: February 5, 2023
Address the big issues of international affairs with your MIA.
MIA students acquire the substantive knowledge, practical skills and real-world experience to address the big issues of international affairs. The curriculum integrates Columbia University’s unsurpassed academic choices with extensive experiential learning, including capstone workshop projects with organizations around the world. Students pursue a customizable core curriculum, including a wide range of courses on international politics and political economy. Students also choose from a broad range of majors: International Security Policy, International Finance and Economic Policy, Economic and Political Development, Human Rights and Humanitarian Policy, Energy and Environment, and Urban and Social Policy. Graduates join a dynamic network of MIA alumni in leading organizations in the public, private and nonprofit sectors around the world.
The MIA includes selected STEM-designated pathways
The degree is underpinned by SIPA’s unrivaled expertise on issues that transcend national boundaries and prepares students to address major international issues as experts and leaders in governments and organizations around the world.
MIA/MPA Concentrations & Specializations
Beyond the designated core curriculum, two-year MIA and MPA students must complete the requirements for one of six policy concentrations and a specialization focused on a particular skill or area of knowledge.
MPA in Development Practice students can choose up to two specializations (not required).
Dual Degree Options
- MIA and Master of Science in Journalism (MS)
- MIA and Master of Science in Urban Planning (MS)
- MIA and Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MIA and Juris Doctor (JD)
- MIA and Master of Public Health (MPH)
- MIA and Master in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences (MA)
- MIA and Master of Science in Social Work (MSSW)
- Berlin: the Hertie School - Master of Public Policy or Master of International Affairs
- London: London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) - Master of Public Administration
- Paris: School of International Affairs at Sciences Po - Master of International Affairs and School of Public Affairs at Sciences Po - Master of Public Administration
- São Paulo: Fundação Getulio Vargas Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (FGV-EAESP)
- Singapore: the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP) at the National University of Singapore - Master of Public Policy
- Tokyo: University of Tokyo Graduate School of Public Policy (GraSPP) - Master of Public Policy
Ready to Apply?
A Capstone Workshop is a live consulting project with an external client outside of SIPA. Each workshop partners a team of about 6 graduate students with a faculty advisor.
Not Seeking Employment
Employment information as reported by the graduates six months after graduation. In 2022, 163 students graduated from the MIA program, 118 reported.
Frequently Asked Questions
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
514 West 113th Street
New York, NY 10025