As graduates of the world’s most global public policy school, SIPA's 23,000 alumni are making an impact on communities large and small throughout the 160 countries in which they live and work. The SIPA Alumni Association honors alumni for their achievements and extraordinary contributions to improving their communities, locally, nationally, and globally, and for service to SIPA. In honoring such alumni, the SIPA Alumni Association considers many factors that are unique to a school with such a diverse and international student body, and strongly encourages SIPA alumni and supporters from across the globe to submit nominations of individuals they believe merit such recognition.
The SIPA Distinguished Alumni Award is presented annually or as otherwise determined by the Board of the SIPA Alumni Association (the “Board”) on behalf of the Alumni Association to honor alumni who have graduated at least 10 years previously and have demonstrated distinguished achievement in their chosen profession or accomplishments and service to SIPA.
The SIPA Emerging Leader Award is presented annually or as otherwise determined by the Board to honor alumni who have graduated in the last 10 years and have demonstrated distinguished achievement in their chosen profession or accomplishments and service to SIPA.
Presentation of Awards
The first ever SIPA Distinguished Alumni Award and the SIPA Emerging Leader Award will be awarded at Alumni Day in Spring of 2022 which will celebrate SIPA’s 75th anniversary. This special weekend will include Alumni Day, an all-class Reunion Dinner at Low Library, and other activities to celebrate SIPA’s 75th anniversary and the newly established alumni awards.
Nominate Now for 2022
There are a few specific nomination requirements and criteria to consider, including (i) self-nominations are not accepted; nor should a candidate be informed of his or her nomination, (ii) alumni who graduated within 10 years from the nomination deadline are eligible for the Emerging Leader Award except graduates of SIPA’s Executive MPA program who are instead eligible for the SIPA Distinguished Alumni Award, and (iii) members of the Alumni Association Awards Committee are not eligible to receive awards while serving on the Committee.
- Before submitting the nomination form at the link below, collect as much available information about your nominee as possible including their name, SIPA degree and year, professional title and employer, and contact details (home and professional).
- Provide a detailed statement of the reasons why this nominee is a strong candidate for the award. To the extent possible, please describe the nominee’s professional achievement and experience, including leadership roles, awards or recognition, as well as civic or community engagement, and engagement with Columbia SIPA as a graduate.
- Nominations are strengthened by letters of support from those who are familiar with the nominee’s professional achievement and/or service to SIPA. These letters can be addressed to the SIPA Alumni Association Awards Committee and sent directly to SIPA’s Office of Alumni Affairs at [email protected].
- All nomination forms and letters of support should be submitted by the nomination deadline of Friday, October 15, 2021.
- For any questions about the nomination process or submitting letters of support, please contact Susan Storms, Director of Alumni Affairs, at (212) 854-8598 or [email protected].